What keeps homeless kids out of class?
The top challenges homeless children faced in attending school were:
- 82%: Family worried about basic survival needs
- 43%: Lack of transportation
- 42%: Inability to do homework due to lack of a study area
- 30%: Lack of clothing and supplies
- 29%: Poor health and medical care
Source: U.S. Department of Education, Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Policy Development, Policy and Program Studies Service, State and District Implementation of the education for Homeless Children and Youth Program, Washington, DC, 2015. Data reflect the 2010-11 school year.